In 1873, John Sands first established the farm in the Sands name. In addition to orchards, a limestone quarry, and pasture, the farm produced chickens and may have had a small dairy operation.
During World War II, John Sands’ grandson, C.S. Sands, chose to enlist instead of clearing the pasture one more time. This was the last time the land was farmed.